Whoa. Busy! And kind of excellent. That was June. It feels like this month things started going right again, and I managed to get in some great travel and time with excellent people. Summer, you really are my favourite time of year…
1. I headed off to the Mediterranean for 5 days on assignment with a now-regular client. Busy days shooting in the sunshine and heat of the Med were punctuated by the odd Aperol Spritz and meeting the most incredible range of people. This is why I do what I do.
2. Yes, part of the above shoot involved working on a cruise ship – of course, I was working, so no sunbathing or lolligagging around for me. But these people were definitely living the dream, that’s for sure.
3. I finally got around to organising and editing the images I’ve been shooting on film for the past year or so, and putting them up on my website. Though I don’t get to shoot film that often, it’s so nice to be able to get back to basics and take my time with making an image. If you’re interested in seeing these film shots you can check them out here: http://www.adriennepitts.com/personal/
4. Part of the aforementioned shoot took place in Dubrovnik – I place I last visited when the Icelandic volcano Eyjafjallajökull went off and I subsequently got stuck in for a considerably longer period than I had planned for! No volcanoes this time around as we took a boat ride, raced around the Old Town, nipped over to neighbouring Cavtat and made it back onto the cruise ship just in time for sunset.
5. The view when I arrived on-board in the port of Naples
6 & 7. After spending all that time on or near the ocean with just a 5 minute dip to cool off, and with a heatwave on the way, I knew I had to fling myself into a body of water. I invited myself along to my friend Melissa’s beach day and we swam, paddled and floated our way around Hunstanton Beach on the Norfolk coast. Our feet were cut up by the mussel shells, our skin was burnished by the sun, our appetites were satiated with multiple ice creams.
8. I don’t even know how to describe this. On a humid evening in Venice we witnessed the most incredible lightning storm. Lasting well over 3 hours I stood with my mouth agape and tears in my eyes watching massive, multiple forks of lightning dance and illuminate their way over the night sky. I still don’t have the words for it. One of the most beautiful things I have seen in my life, and I hope a memory I will treasure forever.
9. Pei! Pei came into town for a few days and we set about walking and talking and catching up. In between ice-cream at Gelupo and beautiful conversation and perhaps a cheeky Nando’s we found ourselves over at Sugarhouse Studios with Charlotte and set about making it our very own outdoor photo studio – the people working there were very tolerant of us 😉
10 & 14. I was invited along by the lovely folk at the Town Hall Hotel to attend a spoon carving workshop with Sophie from Grain & Knot. How did they know I love all the crafty stuff?! I don’t know. I really don’t mind how they know. I’m just so happy I was able to go along and carve my very own spoon. I might have developed a slight obsession with wanting to make more of these…
11. On a balmy sunny day (England you are really outdoing yourself, thank you) I headed over to Bath to visit with Rich & Rosa from Cereal magazine. Wonderful people who I am so happy to shoot for from time to time, we walked around Bath and chatted in between breakfast and coffee and afternoon tea. I’d forgotten just how much I love that beautiful town.
12. Lucio came to town and I managed to catch up with him, Leila and Allan on a lovely sunny day – we may or may not have consumed a fair few lovely cold beverages on the balcony of my old living place, the Barbican.
13. I tried to keep my eyes peeled for Game of Thrones locations in Dubrovnik, but mainly just ended up stalking this musician in his jolly red hat.
15. I finally managed to sit down and write a little bit about our trip to Norway, and the amazing fjord (and cheese-tasting) safari we went on – if you’re interested in reading about it, here is the blog post!